Foto Gallery Beynac et Cazenac Dordogne Fr.
The village Beynac is a must in the Périgord Noir. The castle from the 12th century is one of the best preserved and most authentic in the region and offers a breathtaking view of the valley of the 5 castles and the river Dordogne. The walk in the village can also be done because it has retained all its authenticity.
Maison / Atelier Pierre
In the heart of the Périgord Noir, on one of the most beautiful cliffs of the Dordogne valley, the medieval village of Beynac-et-Cazenac, ranked as one of the most beautiful villages in France, offers a history page.
The origin of Beynac is, contrary to appearance, not medieval but older. It is indeed from 2000 BC. JC that the people in the Bronze Age choose this site to settle here. Remains are found near the Archaeological Park. The Gauls also occupied it to keep the wine trade from Italy under control.
The castle, probably intended to watch over the Dordogne, already existed in the 9th century, when people from the north came up the river and sow terror.
Simon de Montfort seized the castle at the beginning of the 13th century, but the Beynac will get their property back thanks to the intervention of Philippe Auguste in 1217. The castle remains a family property until 1761, the date of the marriage of Marie-Claude de Beynac with Christophe de Beaumont. One of the descendants sells it in 1961.
At the time of the Hundred Years War, the Beynac fort was one of the strongholds of French. The Dordogne then served as a border between France and England; not far from there, on the other side of the Dordogne, the Castle of Castelnaud was in the hands of the English.
The castle often served as a setting for filming: Bertrand Taverniers The Daughter of D ‘Artagnan in 1994, Les Visiteurs II (The Halls of Time) by Jean-Marie Poiré in 1997, and Joan of Arc by Luc Besson in 1999.
On August 15, 1827, the village of Cazenac, located 5 km away, connected to Beynac by a departmental decision ratified by a royal decree.
On the edge of the fort, the village is organized around a fence, divided by several reinforced doors. Several neighborhoods appear: Barri de la Cafourque, Barri del Soucy (weavers’ quarter) or the port. It remains active until the nineteenth century and was an important stop Gabariers who went down the river to Bordeaux to transport various goods (bars, grains …). In addition to trade, fishing and agriculture, the hemp cultivation and the construction sector (stone and woodwork) flourished from the revolution to the middle of the 19th century.
The pleasure of a walk takes you from the castle – one of the finest jewels of medieval architecture – to the old port by strolling along the old cobbled streets with typical houses with blond facades covered with impressive slate roofs.
Everything lends itself to a gastronomic stop or a walk on the Dordogne in inland vessel.